SGSSS Impact Competition
Applications for the SGSSS Impact Competition are now open. PhD social scientists across Scotland can apply to showcase their current impact and win up to £1000 follow-on funding.
The SGSSS Impact Competition gives PhD students across Scotland a chance to reflect on how your research can make a meaningful difference outside of academia.
Why get involved?
Submitting an application will give you a chance to:
- Develop important skills identifying and articulating the impact of your research;
- Reflect on and celebrate the difference that you are making through your work;
- Win up to £1000 follow-on funding to further develop the impact of your work!
What counts as ‘impact’?
The SGSSS defines impact using the terms of the ESRC, as the “demonstrable contribution that excellent research makes to society and the economy”. Impact is what comes from engaging collaboratively with different stakeholders about your research.
For the purposes of the SGSSS Impact Competition, this can include:
- An effect on, change or benefit to society and the economy. This includes a positive change on the activity, awareness, behaviour, capacity, opportunity, performance, policy, practice, process or understanding of key beneficiaries;
- The positive academic contribution that excellent research can make to the understanding and advancement of scientific method or theory across disciplines.
There is full information in our Student Guidance. Applicants may be at different stages in their impact journey, and we expect that applications will contain information about realised and potential impacts.
What does the competition involve?
Competition opens for written applications
Application deadline at 12pm
Review panel shortlist top candidates
Shortlisted entries create a short video
Who is eligible to apply?
Any PhD social science researcher registered at a Scottish University can apply for the Impact Competition, however funded. The competition is open to researchers in any year of study.
Where can I find out more?
Please see the Student Guidance for full information about the scheme, including much more advice on the application process. Applicants need to submit your written application on Social by 12pm on Friday 26 March.