This workshop will be led by the University of Edinburgh’s Jamie Pearce who is the Editor-in-Chief of the interdisciplinary journal Health & Place. It will also include experienced reviewers, journal editors and journal managers working for publishing companies. The workshop will be very informal, and much of the discussion will be facilitated through break-out groups, plenary discussion, and sharing our experiences. Areas to be covered in the workshop include consideration of:
• Why should I chose to publish?
• When is the right time to publish?
• Where is the right place for me to publish?
• For whom am I publishing?
• What happens once I press the submit button? How does the journal workflow process operate?
• What do journal editors look for in deciding whether or not to send out a manuscript for review?
• What are the key ingredients of a ‘publishable manuscript?
• What is the role of reviewers?
• How should I deal with reviewers’ comments?
• How can I ensure my work is widely read and cited?
• Key tips for getting my manuscript accepted for publication.
Delivered by Prof. Jamie Pearce, University of Edinburgh