A Sankey diagram is a visualization used to depict a flow from one set of values to another. This half day workshop divided into 2 sessions will take place on Friday 12 November and Tuesday 16 November 2021 from 3:00pm to 4:30pm and it will consist of 1-hour theory session on the applications and structure of Sankey plots, 1-hour practical hands-on session on RStudio, half an hour group-work exercise, and half an hour of discussion/questions from the workshop participants.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand the usage of Sankey plots in different research domains (e.g. public health, social sciences, demography, and business)
- Prepare the data format needed to construct a Sankey plot using R studio and excel software
- Construct a Sankey plot using R studio software
- Interpret the constructed Sankey plot
- Apply what was learnt in the workshop on their real-life research projects
The event will be capped at a maximum of 30 students to allow interactive teaching. The workshop will be delivered online through Microsoft Teams. Workshop participants should have installed R and RStudio software on their computers and should have access to Excel. R and RStudio are freely downloadable, and instructions will be provided by the workshop tutor prior to the workshop date. It is preferable for participants to have a beginner working level in RStudio software; though this is not mandatory as the tutor will provide all the guidance and codes needed to work with the software.